Longford Park Facilities
The athletics on the eastern side of the park (entrance from Ryebank Road) is home to:
- Trafford Athletics Club – https://www.traffordac.co.uk/
- Longfords Health and Fitness Club (gym/track/classes/personal training) – http://www.longfordsgym.co.uk/
- Longfords Suite Function Room and Conference Facility – available for hire - http://www.longfordssuite.co.uk/home
- Trafford Simply Cycling - All ability cycling for everybody open most Mondays (9.30-12), Fridays (9.30-12) and Sundays (1-3). Bikes/Tricycles/Tandems/Side by Side's/Recumbents available for all abilities, sizes and ages. Small entrance fee, just turn up. For more details and to check for temporary closures please view: http://www.simply-cycling.org/about-us/
Other groups who regularly use the stadium include:
- Learn to ride a bike – for adults who have never ridden a bicycle or need to regain confidence. Check to see when the next session is available here https://tfgm.com/cycling
- Chorlton Runners – For a complete list of events head over to http://www.chorltonrunners.com/
- Manchester Triathlon Club – https://manchestertriathlonclub.org.uk/sessions/
The stadium is also the starting point for the weekly 5km park run. The run starts at 9.00am every Saturday morning. To register or get more information: https://www.parkrun.org.uk/stretford/
There are two crown green bowling groups in the park – Longford Ladies, and Longford Retired Gentlemen’s Club. Both groups run officially between Easter and September for bowling, although they do meet up socially over the winter months.
Both clubs are always on the look out for new members. If you a bowler looking for other people to play with, or have never played before and are interested in finding out more about the game come down and drop in.
Longford Ladies: Tuesdays 1.15 – 4pm
Longford Retired Gentlemen’s Club: Monday to Friday 1-4pm
The newly developed Disc Golf course located within Longford Park is open to all ages. Disc golf is similar to regular golf except that it’s played with a frisbee disc. If you'd like to give it a try, you can rent discs at the cafe. For more information please click on the link below.
Located at the northern end of the park, near the Quadrant, the Firswood Community Centre is home to a number of groups and classes. It is also available for hire. For more information call Mary 0161 879 4460.
Groups that regularly use the centre include:
- Yoga classes with Fiona – Monday evenings: call 07967 797 319, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- TaiChi – Wednesday, classes and private lessons available. Call John 0161 860 411
- Longford Community Choir – Friday evenings 6-8pm. Call Janice 0161 864 1996. Email: longfordchoir.org.uk
- Bumps and Bashes Baby and children first aid classes for parents. Call Kate 07966 315 699, Email: bumpsandbashes.com
- Classical Pilates – Wednesday, Mixed ability 6.15-7.15pm, Intermediate/advanced 7.30-8.30pm. Call Danielle 07511 354 745
- G-Camp Boxing – Tuesday and Thursdays. Call Mike 07957 267 662
- Senior Citizens Art Class – Fridays, all welcome. Call Sylvia 0161 718 7905
- Mary Woods School of Dance – Saturday mornings 3+ to young adult. Call 0161 879 4460, Email: marywoodschoolofdance.co.uk
- Daisy Birthing Active Antenatal Classes – Call Tara 07939 416 686
- 1st Firswood Girl Guides/Brownies/Rainbows – Tuesday evenings. Call Adele 07732 442 530
- Firswood Tuition Centre. Call Haseeb on 07557402556 or Email: email@example.com
Longford Park's family cafe serving great coffee, cakes and real bread but now with added brunch and fancy stuff.
Disabled toilets located at the Longford Cafe building.
The Longford Park Education Pack has been designed to help school groups make full use of the park.
Here you can find a wide range of lesson plans and activities that your children can enjoy in Longford Park!
Lesson plans are suitable for use with the National Curriculum Key Stages 1 -3. https://friendsoflongfordpark.org.uk/longford-park-education-pack/
Younger Children's Playground
This is located opposite Longford Cafe. Suitable for ages up to 8.
Older Children's Playground
Continue along the road past the cafe and keep walking straight beyond the small car park.
Suitable for ages 8 - 14.
The climbing boulder is located within the older children's playground. Continue along the road past the cafe and keep walking straight beyond the small car park.
Suitable for ages above 8
There are three permanent orienteering courses around Longford Park:
- The Short Yellow (1.5km, 10 controls) which loops round the central and southern areas.
- The Yellow 1 course (2.1km, 13 controls) and Yellow 2 course (2.2km, 14 controls) which include the north end of the park and run opposite ways round; and
- The Orange (2.7km, 13 controls) and covers the whole park.
A waterproof map showing the different courses can be bought from the café for £1.
Pets' Corner, which is located next to Longford Cafe, houses a number of animals and has been a popular attraction for many years. For more information click on the link below.
The toilets and changing facility are located inside the Cafe building and are open to the public. Toilets are available during normal Cafe opening times.
The building also houses a specialist accessible disabled toilet and changing facility for children and adults with disabilities. This is one of only two such units in Trafford, making the park accessible to parents and carers, meaning they can spend longer hours outside of the home and enjoy their day in the park.
Located next to the Firswood Community Centre, the Beacon Centre is home to:
- Church of God Prophecy – Contact Jackie on 0161 222 6369, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nu Yu- Counselling and Family Support Services – Contact Maurcia Mitchell on 0161 209 9559/ 07908 522 523
- Better Body Challenge – Tuesdays 7.30-9.15pm Contact 07415 248 365, email@example.com
There are 6 free to use tarmacked tennis courts in Longford Park. Whilst anybody of any standard can use them they are now included in both the Trafford Tennis League and the Manchester Parks Tennis League.
Click below for more information.
The Longford Park wildlife garden was originally set up in 2000 to provide an area of natural beauty and relaxation. For a peaceful experience this small patch of the park is located adjacent to the formal and Japanese Gardens. For more details click on the link below.