Longford Park Community Allotment
- RYLANDS KITCHEN GARDEN -
Set up in 2010 by a sub group of the Friends of Longford Park, the community allotment surrounds the bowling green. It is a beautiful area, full of vegetables, soft fruit, a developing orchard, espaliered fruit trees and a herb wheel. Two large greenhouses have been installed for protected cultivation, as well as a beehive run by the Three Bees Co-operative.
The work is entirely undertaken by volunteers, so we are always keen to have new gardeners. Don’t worry if you can’t commit to regular times or days, you can drop in to help in any of our sessions when it suits. We welcome those without any experience as well as those with some gardening experience.
Payment is in the produce grown, and what isn’t used by volunteers is often offered to the public for a donation to the allotment.
We usually hold 2 to 3 open days a year where plants and cakes can be bought, you can chat to the volunteers and meet the bee keepers, and the weather is almost guaranteed to be sunny. We have also hosted other one off events such as ‘preserving and pickling’ and composting events.
Entrance is through the large black door in the wall near Pets' Corner and the Café.
The allotment is open to drop in and look round, or to join in the work on
If you would like to find out more drop in to one of our sessions, contact Margaret on 0161 865 6064, or use the form when you click on the contacts button above.
Latest News and Events
- Update on vandalism in the Community Allotments Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General.
- Longford Park Community Allotment Greenhouses Smashed Up Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General.
- Success for Longford Park! Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General | Wildlife Garden.
- All welcome to the Longford Park Community Allotment Open Day, Sunday 15th September. Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General.
- Come along to the Community Allotment Open Day, Sunday afternoon, 19th May. Categories: Community Allotment | Featured.
Posted: January 19, 2020
Please read the following to find out how you can help in the fight against vandalism:... more
Posted: January 8, 2020
Since mid November the allotment greenhouses have been extensively vandalised several times... more
Posted: November 10, 2019
Longford Park is thriving! That's according to the results of the awards from Britain in Bloom with the RHS. ... more
Posted: September 9, 2019
Lots going on in the Allotment, plus free taster bowling sessions!... more
Posted: May 18, 2019