Longford Park Community Allotment
- Rylands Kitchen Garden -
Set up in 2010 by a sub group of the Friends of Longford Park, the community allotment surrounds the bowling green. It is a beautiful area, full of vegetables, soft fruit, a developing orchard, espaliered fruit trees and a herb wheel. Two large greenhouses have been installed for protected cultivation, as well as a beehive run by the Three Bees Co-operative.
The work is entirely undertaken by volunteers, so we are always keen to have new gardeners. Don’t worry if you can’t commit to regular times or days, you can drop in to help in any of our sessions when it suits. We welcome those without any experience as well as those with some gardening experience.
Payment is in the produce grown, and what isn’t used by volunteers is often offered to the public for a donation to the allotment.
We usually hold 2 to 3 open days a year where plants and cakes can be bought, you can chat to the volunteers and meet the bee keepers, and the weather is almost guaranteed to be sunny. We have also hosted other one off events such as ‘preserving and pickling’ and composting events.
Entrance is through the large black door in the wall near Pets' Corner and the Café.
The allotment is open to drop in and look round, or to join in the work on
Sundays 10am -12pm
Mondays 2pm - 4pm
Wednesday 10 -12pm
Thursdays 6pm -7.30pm (summer time only)
If you would like to find out more drop in to one of our sessions, contact Margaret on 0161 865 6064, or fill in the form below.
Latest News and Events
- All welcome to the Longford Park Community Allotment Open Day, Sunday 15th September. Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General.
- Come along to the Community Allotment Open Day, Sunday afternoon, 19th May. Categories: Community Allotment | Featured.
- GET INVOLVED with the Royal Horticultural Society IT’S YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD AWARDS 2019 Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General | Wildlife Garden.
- BIG DIG DAY at the Community Allotment Saturday 27th April. Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General.
- Fruit Trees going spare Categories: Community Allotment | Featured | General.
Posted: September 9, 2019
Lots going on in the Allotment, plus free taster bowling sessions!... more
Posted: May 18, 2019
Posted: May 9, 2019
An exciting opportunity for the whole community.... more
Posted: April 14, 2019
Call in between 2pm and 4pm to see the garden. 'Buy' some plants for donations and find out about joining... more
Posted: November 15, 2018
Community Allotment - 2 fruit trees (an apple and a plum) up for grabs! A small donation to the Community Allotment would be appreciated. If you're interested, ring Margaret on 0161 865... more