The Stretford Pageant has been continuously hosted in Longford Park every year since 1919. The Grand Lawn in front of the site of Longford Hall is the setting for the finale of this very popular annual event. The year 2009 marks the 90th Stretford Pageant and the 100th Rose Queen festival. For further details or if you would like to get involved contact Mrs V Macleod 0161 748 2300 or 0789 710 3008.
The Firswood Community Centre, near the Quadrant entrance, hosts many activities including:-
- Children’s Drama Group-Mon 5PM to 7.30PM
- Hula Hoop Lessons for Adults-Mon7.45PM onwards
- Rainbows/Brownie/Guides/Rangers –Clubs for girls-Tues PM
- Mother and Toddler Group-Wed 9AM to 12 noon
- Tai Chi-Wed 7PM
- Sugar craft Thurs-AM
- Indoor Bootcamp Class Thurs evenings 7pm - 7.45pm Phone 07791763829
- Home Education Support Group-Fri 9AM to 3.30PM
- Firswood Leisure Art Group- painting group for adults-Fri 1-4PM
- Dance Classes for children age 3+ to young adult. Ballet/disco and cheerleading-Sat
- Stretford Amateur Football Club meets on adjacent fields and uses Centre facilities. Sat/Sun mornings
For further details concerning all activities contact the Community Centre Manager Mary Wood on 0161 478 2297.The Centre is also available for hire for Children’s parties and Community/Voluntary/Craft Group Meetings/Events
Longford Park Stadium (sometimes Known as Trafford or Stretford Stadium) is home to Trafford Athletics Club (Stretford). Membership of this keep fit and athletics facility is open to the whole community. Athletics training sessions take place Monday and Thursday Juniors meet 6 to 7PM and Seniors 7 to 9PM. For further details regarding opening times and facilities available telephone 0161 881 4488. Longfords Function Room and Conference Facility offers a fantastic base for social and business events to book social events contact the Steward on 0161 881 7744. External catering also available. Longfords Health and Fitness Club Gym/Track/Classes/Personal Training Call 860 0956 for more information. Groups meeting at the stadium include:
- Rotary Club of Urmston and Stretford (Wed 6PM)
- Manchester Deaf Society - first Thurs of every month.
- Manchester Triathlon Club (Wed)
- Friends of Longford Park monthly committee meetings(see http://folp.org.uk for future dates)
- Longfords Athletic club Over 50s Keep Fit group Tuesdays 11am. More details can be found at http://50plus-fitness.co.uk
The Longford Scout Group meet at The Stable Block near Longford Cottages for the following age groups:
- Beavers aged 6-8years- 6.15 to 7.15 PM Wed
- Cubs aged 8-10yrs 7PM to 8.30PM Mon
- Scouts aged 10 to 14 - 7.30 to 9.30PM Thur
- Rangers aged 14 to 17- 7.30 to 9.30PM Tues
- New members are always welcome. Go along at the start times mentioned to obtain further information.
- Visit the Longford Scouts Website
Touch Rugby In The Park - touch rugby on a Saturday morning in Longford Park (11am - 12.30pm)*. Touch rugby is a non contact version of the game, so you get all the best bits; the running around and throwing a rugby ball but no rough and tumble! It’s free, mixed, absolutely everyone is welcome… especially those who have never thought of picking up a rugby ball in their life before. The emphasis is very much on having a laugh and no weekly commitment is needed.
* Swap to Thursdays in summer months 7pm - 8.30pm (End April to Mid September).
Longford Park Rangers(LPR) - This grew out of ‘Touch Rugby In the Park’ and is a proper contact rugby team. They have two separate teams, a mens team and a ladies team.
Longford Park Bowling Club offer a slightly more relaxed alternative to rugby. The 2 bowling greens are presently only accessible when one of the bowling clubs is meeting. All 3 clubs would welcome new members. Anyone wishing to join should go along to the greens when the clubs are meeting and ask to speak to the Secretary. There are no facilities available to hire bowls so you need to have your own equipment. Spectators always welcome and seating is available. The clubs meet as follows between Easter and Sept
- Ryebank Ladies for women of all ages. Meet Mon and Wed 1.30 to 3.30PM
- Longford Ladies for women of all ages. Meet on Tues and Thurs 1.15 to 4PM
- Longford Men’s. For men aged 60+. There are 4 men’s teams who play at League standard. Meeting are held between 1 and 4 PM Mon to Fri inclusive.
Police Community Support Officers(PCSO) frequently visit Longford Park. Our Local PCSO is Kevin Booth and if you have any issues with anti-social behaviour in the park then please contact him. Email firstname.lastname@example.org (or Stretford.email@example.com) or phone 0161 856 7655 (or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111). Find out more about the Stretford Neighbourhood Area Policing Team.
Contact Stretford Local History Society to find out more about the history of Longford Park and the surrounding Stretford area. Contact Bill Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 969 7144
Trafford Local Studies can provide images and further information about the heritage of Longford Park, Stretford and Trafford. They can be contacted at email@example.com or 0161 912 3013
Chorlton’s Ryebank fields adjoin Longford Park and a long running community effort has been made to Save Ryebank Playing Fields from being developed for housing.
Articles and Events related to Longford Park can frequently be found in the local newspapers:
- Manchester Evening News
- South Manchester Reporter
- Stretford and Urmston Messenger
- Trafford Metro News
Noted Manchester Photographer Aidan O’ Rourke has captured many aspects of Manchester’s heritage including our own Longford Park.
If you would like to be added to our communities page then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
When visiting Longford Park, please remember that the park is in a residential area. Please consider local residents when using the park’s facilities